Finance and Policy Committee
Our key function is to assess yearly estimates of income and expenditure and to recommend the level of Council Tax required to fund our programme making sure that your money is spent wisely. Another function is to consider applications from local organisations for grants and to support the local voluntary sector.
Draft the TERMS OF REFERENCE Ratified at the Council Meeting on 16TH JULY 2007 Minute
The Finance & Policy Committee shall be a Standing Committee of Berkhamsted Town Council appointed at the Annual Council Meeting. As such it is autonomous; its decisions do not require ratification by Council unless a matter is specifically referred up. It is subject to the same general
rules of conduct in relation to meetings set out in the Council’s Standing Orders.
The Committee shall consist of six elected Members of Berkhamsted Town Council. Its quorum shall be 3. In accordance with SO 12.2, the Mayor and Deputy Mayor, ex officio, shall be non voting members of the committee.
In accordance with Section 102 of the Local Government Act 1972, the Committee shall have no powers of co-option.
||Aims and Objectives
- To have oversight and general control of the finances of the Town Council, with particular
responsibility for agreeing the annual Estimates of Income & Expenditure and recommending
to Council the level of Precept.
- To consider applications for Grants from local organisations and subject to the Clerk’s recommendations and the Grants budget set by Council to make Grants where lawful and
To download a Grant application form please click here
c) To consider the response of Council to consultation documents of a general nature, not
covered by specific committee remits.
d) Subject to the Clerk’s recommendations, to set the Council’s policy with regard to the
introduction of new legislative requirements.
- Subject to the Clerk’s recommendations, to consider and set the framework for the
employment of the Council’s staff.
- Through the Support Services Working Party to carry out an annual review of staff salaries
and make recommendations to Council in advance of the budget process.
- Through the Support Services Working Party, to monitor the annual staff appraisal scheme. To appoint the Chairman of the Festival of Light Working Group and to be responsible for the
Town’s Christmas lights display
- To research opportunities for increasing market activity within the town and to liaise with the
business community and/or Berkhamsted Chamber of Commerce, Berkhamsted Community
Partnership, Dacorum Borough Council and such other agencies as are considered appropriate,
to identify opportunities to increase the economic vitality of the town, and opportunities for
tourism and transport, through joint partnership.
- To conform with the Town Council’s Financial Regulations.
- To be responsible for the Town Council’s Communications strategy, to include publicity,
promotion and consultation with the public.
The Committee shall have the power to set up working groups as and when appropriate to further
the tasks as identified in the Aims and Objectives. These groups shall report to the Committee
on a regular basis or as specifically instructed.
The Committee shall be maintained in accordance with a budget set by the Council at its meeting
in January. Any additional funds required by the Committee to discharge its obligations shall be
sought by application to Council.
Meetings of the Committee shall normally take place ten times a year. The time, date and place of meetings shall be determined by Council at the Annual Council Meeting, or otherwise by Council or this Committee’s decision.